Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Healthy "Fried" Shrimp with Spicy Green Beans

Have you always wanted to find a way to turn something fried, into something healthy? Well look no further than Lisa Lillian or a.k.a. Hungry Girl. She has a great show on the Cooking Channel and Food Network (I would highly recommend watching it). She takes ordinary recipes, your favorite snacks or the most delicious desserts, and turns them into something a little healthier.

I recently bought her book simply titled "Hungry Girl."  There are so many delicious recipes that I can't wait to try, so I had to choose one to start with.  I decided to try the "Swapcorn Shrimp" a.k.a "healthy fried shrimp." There is a secret ingredient that makes it healthy. Wait for it... Fiber One Bran cereal. Yeah I said it Fiber One! Let me tell you, I had my dad fooled the entire dinner thinking that it was a new breadcrumb mixture that I made up.  It was that good! This was a meal that I would definitely make again and again! I would encourage you to at least try to shrimp and not the let that fact that Fiber One is used scare you! It really is very tasty!

Healthy "Fried" Shrimp

As one of the sides for the shrimp, I made the homemade coleslaw that I blogged about in my post "A Great Summer's Night Meal." Check it out! This time I cheated a little and bought the pre-shredded cabbage, which worked a lot better! To quote my dad, "This is the best coleslaw I have ever had!"

Spicy Green Beans
One of our favorite places to eat out is P.F. Changs, and my dad's favorite side is the Spicy Green Beans.  After a little "googleing",  I found a recipe for them! I thought that the spicy green beans would work nice with the coleslaw and the shrimp.  If you like hot and spicy, then this is the perfect recipe for you! I bought 1.5 pounds of green beans, so with a little math I had to figure out the correct amounts of ingredients. The one ingredient that really determines how spicy the beans are, is the hot pepper flakes. If you like real spicy, then add what the recipe calls for. If you like a more mild heat level, then I would maybe cut it in half. Either way these beans tasted just like the ones at P.F. Changs.

It was nice to have a really good meal and know that it was good for you! I can't wait to make this meal again!

Enjoy!!

-Kym's Kitchen



Swapcorn Shrimp
(from Hungry Girl cookbook, by: Lisa Lillian)

Ingredients:

1 lb of shrimp, peeled and deveined
2.5 cups Fiber One Bran cereal
1-2 eggs
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree.

2. Wisk 1-2 eggs in a bowl.

3. Use a food processor or blender to grind the cereal to a breadcrumb consistency. Pour the cereal into a big Ziplock bag.

4. Dry the shrimp with a paper towel. Place a few at a time in the eggs and then into the Ziplock bag. Shake.

5. Place the shrimp on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes flipping them about halfway through.

6. Serve with cocktail sauce and tarter sauce.  



Homemade Coleslaw


(see post "A Great Summer's Night Meal)



P.F. Chang's Spicy Green Beans
(from: http://www.food.com/recipe/pf-changs-spicy-green-beans-462084)


Ingredients:

1 lb green beans 
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated 
2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced 
2 tablespoons cooking oil 
1/4 cup water 
 
Sauce 
2 tablespoons soy sauce 
1 tablespoon rice vinegar 
2 teaspoons sugar 
2 tablespoons szechuan hot chili flakes 
 
 Directions: 
1. Rinse and trim green beans, set aside. 
 
2. Mix sauces in a bowl well.
 
3. Pour water in wok, heat over high heat until bubbling, boil green bean for 3-5 minutes until crispy tender. Remove and drain. 
 
4. Heat cooking oil hot in wok over high heat, stir in ginger and garlic until aromatic, combine green bean, stir constantly until beans are soft about 2-3 minutes. 
 
5. Combine sauce mixture, stir around until the sauce is thicken and glazes the bean.
 
6. Transfer and serve spicy green bean with cooked rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment