Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Jack Daniels and Chocolate? A Perfect Combination

What do you do when you love to cook/bake? Try new recipes? Experiment with new things? And want to share all of it? Of course... start a cooking blog! I am excited to share new recipes, old recipes, family recipes and of course anything I learned in the process!

To start it all off...
Jack Daniels Chocolate Cupcakes with a Chocolate Ganache Filling and Chocolate Buttercream Icing! If you are looking for something to curve your chocolate craving, look no further than this rich, decadent and an amazing little bite. I found the recipe on Pinterest (which is where I find most of my recipes) and thought I would try it out!

Jack Daniels Chocolate Cupcake Mini
It was a very simple recipe with 3 different "parts" (recipe follows).  There was a recipe for the actual cake itself, one for the ganache, and then one for the icing. After I made the batter for the cake, I realized that I had enough for not only 12 big cupcakes, but for 24 mini's too. I think that the big cupcakes were almost too much so I would suggest making smaller cupcakes or the minis like I did. I added a cute little touch at the end and shaved some chocolate on the top, since there wasn't enough chocolate to begin with! Lol These were perfect with a dish of vanilla ice cream, a cup of coffee, or just by themselves if you like rich chocolate!

 When it came to making the icing, I had a nice learning experience. The recipe calls for butter softened, not melted. I used some butter that we had froze and just threw it in the microwave like I normally would. I was not paying any attention to it and the butter melted. I thought that I could still use it so I put it in with the vanilla pudding like the recipe says. After 5 min. of "whipping", it was still the same liquid that I started with. I tried everything to fix it: adding a whole bag of powder sugar, dream whip packets, and eventually whipped cream! It turned out "ok" but I definitely learned a good lesson! If the recipe calls for soften butter, then it better be soft not melted!!

This is just the first of many recipes I plan on trying! Stay tuned for more! Next up... Shrimp Spring Rolls!

-Kym's Kitchen


Here is the recipe for the cupcakes:
(From: http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/14359112/Jack_Daniels_CUPCAKES_O_M_G)


Chocolate J.D. Cupcakes
 2 Cups (10 ounces) all purpose flour
3/4 cup (3.75 ounces) coco powder
2 cups (14.5 ounces) granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup super strong coffee
1/2 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, stir the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In separate bowl (I use a 4 or 8 cup measuring vessel) combine the eggs, coffee, whiskey, buttermilk and oil.
Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
Spoon the mixture into prepared cupcake cups...(I use 4 ounce souffle cups also known as nut and portion cups) I only fill half full and they come right up to the top.
Bake in preheated oven about 18-20 minutes until the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Cool completely.

Dark Chocolate Whiskey Ganache
 16 ounces good quality dark chocolate 65-72 %, chopped into small pieces 1/4 inch or less.
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
Instructions:
place the chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set aside.
heat heavy cream until just boiling.  Pour over chocolate.
Cover chocolate and cream for 2 minutes to allow chocolate to soften.  Uncover and stir with whisk until smooth and silky.
stir in butter until fully incorporated.
stir in whiskey until fully incorporated, cool completely.

Dark Chocolate Whiskey Buttercream
1 lb. unsalted butter, softened
1- 3 ounce package white chocolate, vanilla or cheesecake instant pudding mix
2 cups Dark Chocolate Whiskey ganache
1/2 cup sifted dark cocoa powder
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
more whiskey to taste
Instructions:
In stand mixer beat the butter and pudding mix together on medium high speed for 5 minutes or so.
Turn off, add the ganache, cocoa powder and heavy cream.  Beat for another 5 minutes.
Add powdered sugar a little bit at a time, tasting as you go until it is sweet enough for you then beat on medium high for at least 5 more minutes.
If it isn't a strong enough whiskey taste for you add Tablespoon by Tablespoon of whiskey until it is to your liking.





No comments:

Post a Comment